Thursday, May 29, 2008

Gay Marriages


Gay marriages were approved in CA last week, and just recently, NY has came out to say they will recognize marriages from outside the state. Although this is a tiny step, it is the step in the right direction. I think that gay marriage is a very progressive thing and I find it very fitting that California is the 2nd state in the nation to address the issue like this in a positive manner. Gay marriage is something that is long overdue in our society. I recently heard someone within my political science class compare it to the racial oppression of the Brown v. Board of Education case. I think that's a really valid point to bring up because both cases deal with blatant discrimination.

Check out these sites:
http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/05/28/same.sex.marriage/
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hZmLBrL36NObNyMR0ghXN7vB5hYwD90V6SNG0
http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5h2qJ68YTOsLHGjkJTRaUxbqZWP7w

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Blatant discrimination is what I would describe people who are opposed to gay marriages.

Yes, I know that many people have strong feelings about the "sanctity of marriage" between a man and a women; however not too long ago, many held strong beliefs against interracial marriages.

It is a privilege that American citizens today can marry anyone from a different race and ethic group, but there is a sense of tragedy that two men and two women cannot share the same right.

Marriage should be defined as a right for two people who love and care for one another and not by their sexual orientation.

Anonymous said...

I cant wait until this goes to the SUpreme court. The consitution supports equality, and this is not equality